The Program Coordinator for the Nathan Benderson Park Conservatory in Sarasota, Florida, will serve as an integral part of the programming team. This position is responsible for the development and management of all youth camps, NBP Rec Days!, and the rental kiosk at Nathan Benderson Park under the supervision of the Program Manager. This individual will also be responsible for supporting operations, events and training as needed. The Program Coordinator has an opportunity to express creativity and develop youth camps that make a difference in our community. Successful candidates must be reliable and punctual, possess a positive attitude and exhibit a mature outlook and well-developed sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation, leisure, sports management, kinesiology or related field.
- 1-2 years of experience in camp and recreation programming.
- Previous experience in aquatic sports (rowing, paddling, sailing) is a strong plus.
- Customer service experience and experience working with children and families preferred.
- The physical demands and work environment require the ability to lift; move, push and pull equipment and items in excess of 20 lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme temperatures for a reasonable period of time.
- Must be able to move around the park which includes grass, shell, paved areas, steps, sand and floating docks.
- Must be comfortable with the outdoors and potential exposure to mosquitoes, flies, bees and other pests, reptile and insects common in the Florida outdoors.
- Must have or be able to obtain in the first 30 days of employment a Florida’s boaters license, lifeguard certification, open water lifeguard certification and CPR/first aid certification.
- Knowledge of program management software systems such as Mind Body is preferred.
- As many programs are on the weekends and evenings, this position must be available to work a flexible schedule.
- Possess a valid Florida Driver’s License.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the management and oversight of all camp activities, Rec Days and rental kiosk, including supervision of counselors and rental personnel.
- Work with the Program Manager to develop comprehensive program plans for camp and Rec Days including curriculum, safety plans and formative and summative evaluation.
- Responsible for enforcing and following all safety policies and procedures for related programming and water operations.
- Motivate and offer knowledgeable instruction to all participants in the session, meeting the established objectives for each camp.
- Work with the Program Manager to develop work scheduled for camp counselors, volunteers and rental personnel.
- Ensure all equipment in use has been inspected and in proper working order before commissioning for public use; and is prepared before scheduled sessions and accounted for following sessions.
- Work with the Program Manager to properly schedule the facility for all programming to minimize scheduling conflicts with events and training.
- Protect and maintain inventory of program and water related equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a full-time (40 hours a week) non-exempt position reporting to the Programs and Aquatics Manager, and is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, vision and a retirement plan. The hourly salary for this position is $18 – $20 per hour commensurate upon experience.
Nathan Benderson Park Conservancy seeks to hire personnel who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at Nathan Benderson Park are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.