This volunteer position provides an opportunity to assist in the running of summer camp at Nathan Benderson Park. Campers are between the ages of 6 to 14. This is an unpaid position with the opportunity to receive community service hours toward high school graduation or Florida Bright Futures*. Each volunteer will be paired with a camp counselor to help facilitate daily camp activities.
The CITs will be subject to the same code of behavior and policies as camp counselors and will participate in all aspects of camp life. Under the supervision of a counselor, they will:
- Make the camp a fun place to be, helping counselors plan and execute games and activities.
- Clean up and maintain equipment and facility
- Help provide a safe and supportive atmosphere for campers
- Enforce and follow all safety guidelines
- Learn stand-up paddleboard, kayaking, canoeing, rowing, fishing, and boaters’ safety (training provided through NBP)
CITs will always work with a Counselor and/or the Program Coordinator. CITs will work with staff to develop and co-lead water and camp games. CITs will participate in informal and formal activities with campers.
- Must be a high school student going into 10th grade or older and must be at least 15 years old
- Safe sport certification is required prior to start of volunteering and can be found at the following site: https://safesporttrained.org/#/public-dashboard
- Strong customer service skills
- Previous experience working with children or a strong interest in working with children
- Positive attitude and professional demeanor
- Aquatic/Boating knowledge
- Strong work ethic and punctuality
You will have the opportunity to gain a lifeguard certification through NBP at no cost. Your hours will not exceed 10-20 hours per week. Must pass a background check.
*Volunteer hours at NBP cannot be used for court-mandated community service