Nathan Benderson Park Conservancy Inc.
POSITION TITLE: Camp Counselor
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
COMPENSATION: $15.00 / Hour
CATEGORY: Part-time Seasonal – Non-exempt
Camp counselors handle the daily operations for the youth camp programs at Nathan Benderson Park. Their primary area of responsibility is to teach water and boating safety to campers ages 6-14, in a safe and engaging environment. Counselors will communicate with parents, providing updates where required and answering questions about the camp. You will provide guidance, motivation and support all camp visitors. Most importantly you must know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp program, including knowing the whereabouts of your campers at all times.
Must be available to work May 16th-August 6th**
**Exceptions can be made if you have a valid reason as to why you are unable to start on May 16.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the safety of all campers throughout the entirety of the camp day
- Become proficient in stand-up paddleboard, kayaking, canoeing, rowing, fishing, and boaters’ safety (training provided through NBP)
- Check-in and check-out of campers on a daily basis
- Clean up and maintain equipment and facility
- Supervision of as many as 10 campers in an aquatics-based environment
- Report and record details of incidents, such as accidents or rule violations, to parents and camp staff
- Enforce and follow all safety guidelines
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Possess or obtain Florida Boater’s License
- Possess or obtain CPR/First Aid certification
- Possess or obtain Lifeguard certification
- Possess or obtain a Safe Sport certification
- Ability to lift and maneuver items weighing as much as 50 pounds
- Strong customer service skills
- Previous experience working with kids
- Positive attitude and professional demeanor
- Punctual and reliable
- Aquatic/boating knowledge
- Valid driver’s license
All employees must pass a drug test and criminal background check prior to hiring.
Nathan Benderson Park Conservancy seeks to hire personnel who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at Nathan Benderson Park are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.