Sustainable Landscape Manager
POSITION SUMMARYThe Sustainable Landscape Manager will assure best-in-class levels of organic landscape maintenance throughout Nathan Benderson Park. Using the Zone Management landscape maintenance strategy pioneered by the Central Park Conservancy the Landscape Manager will manage contractors and hire, train and lead a team of zone gardeners and volunteers assigned to specific areas of the park. The Zone Gardeners are also expected to serve as “hosts” to the visiting public, answering questions with a smile and making sure every visitor to the park has a safe and enjoyable visit. The Landscape Manager will oversee the seasonal care of the Park’s turf, trees, gateway plantings, median plantings, naturalized and wetland areas, woodlands and specimen trees. This is an exciting opportunity to establish a best-in-class, sustainable landscape maintenance team at one of Florida’s finest parks.
Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates Inc. (SANCA) is a 501c3 established to partner with the County of Sarasota to operate, promote and enhance Nathan Benderson Park. The Park serves as a sports tourism venue for major sporting events, drawing elite athletes from around the nation and the world to compete at the park’s Olympic-quality rowing facilities. Many residents of Sarasota count on the Park for their personal fitness either on the water or the Park’s miles of paths and trails. SANCA offers family and youth primarily focused on aquatic sports throughout the year, including a very popular summer camp program and family recreation days. Community events and festivals are also held at the park including NBP Fireworks On The Lake and NBP Trick or Treat on the Lake.
SANCA seeks a landscape professional with a minimum of five-seven years of progressive job experience. The successful applicant will be an effective, and thoughtful working leader able to plan and execute a seasonal maintenance plan for the park’s landscape assets. The successful candidate will be well organized and possess good written and verbal communication skills, and able to build and sustain a strong team and collaborative relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have had progressively senior level experience in landscape maintenance and improvement. He/she/they will:
• Hold a bachelor’s or equivalent work experience in horticulture, public landscapes, arborist, forester, landscape architecture or related field.
• Ability to operate and maintain all basic landscape equipment
• Knowledge of Southwest Florida growing conditions and suppliers of high-quality plant material, including native plants
• Ability to undertake structural pruning of young trees and shrubs
• Ability to undertake risk assessment for mature trees
• Ability to read and execute planting plans and scaled construction drawings. Planting design skills a benefit
• Working knowledge of Integrated Pest Management
• Working knowledge of organic land maintenance strategies
• Working knowledge of irrigation system installation, maintenance and repair
• CDL Commercial Driver’s license
• Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
• English/Spanish bilingual skills beneficial
• Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel
• Occasional evening and weekend work required
Finally, the successful candidate will be a dedicated and motivational leader, capable of organizing and bringing out the best in volunteers, colleagues, and staff. SANCA has a long-established team of both staff and volunteers. Working collaboratively and with a sense of humor, is a must. The position reports to the Director of Facility Operations. .
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
·Assure that the turf is always maintained at the appropriate height in a healthy and sustainable manner
·Compost all organic materials generated onsite and apply to the landscape in either liquid (Tea)or as finished compost
·Assure weed-free, healthy plant displays
·Replant annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees as needed for best results with an emphasis on the use of native plants
·Secure necessary subcontractors, supplies and materials to support landscape operations
·Practice Integrated Pest Management
·Limit or avoid the use of synthetic chemicals on the landscape
·Monitor and remove all invasive plant species from the Park as needed always adhering to best practices
·Assure best planting and pruning practices for all plant material, undertake structural pruning on all young trees
·Migrate the Park’s high maintenance landscapes away from plants that require constant hedging and trimming to more natural forms with slower growing natives and well-adapted Florida plants
·Manage the maintenance areas, office, and equipment, assuring they are well-organized, safe and secure
·Undertake risk management assessment on a regular basis and assure that all appropriate personal protective equipment is always utilized by staff and volunteers
·Assure good communications with landscape staff and volunteers making sure they are safe, well-trained, and coordinated
· Assure preventative and routine maintenance and repairs for all landscape equipment and assets
· Assure best sustainable practices for recycling and waste management
· Promote pollinator health and biodiversity throughout the Park’s landscapes
· Practice sustainable stormwater management practices, always working to assure and promote water quality in the Park and downstream
· Assist with the set up and take down of athletic and community events as needed.
· Other duties as assigned
SANCA will offer a competitive salary for this position, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefit package available that includes medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) retirement plan. The position also includes vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
SANCA seeks to hire personnel who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at SANCA are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Written applications, including cover letter and resume via email only, please.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Executive Assistant to the CEO
5851 Nathan Benderson Circle
Sarasota, FL 34235
All employees must pass a drug test and criminal background check prior to hiring. SANCA is an equal opportunity employer.