Director of Development
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: CEO/President
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience
The Director of Development (DOD) for the Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates (SANCA) at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida, will be among the organization’s top leaders, responsible for fostering, and executing a successful strategy for the organization’s new and ongoing fundraising and communications efforts. Joining the team at an important transitional moment, the DOD will work closely with the CEO/President, the COO, Board of Directors, staff and volunteers to implement a thoughtful and strategic vision for institutional advancement for the organization.
SANCA seeks a development professional with a minimum of five-seven years of progressive job experience. The successful applicant will be a poised, effective, and thoughtful leader able to imagine a sound strategic vision for the SANCA’s institutional advancement as well as build a tactical plan for achieving it. The applicant will be an experienced fundraiser, comfortable with planning and executing solicitations with confidence and grace. The successful candidate will be well organized and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and able to build consensus and nurture relationships among constituents at all levels, while promoting a collaborative and collegial work environment.
The successful candidate will have had senior level experience in fundraising in a team environment. He/she/they will:
· have a proven record of fundraising success in annual fund giving, major donor cultivation, capital campaign, deferred giving, bequests, grants, marketing, media relations, and corporate sponsorships.
· have worked as part of a campaign team, if not as the leader of such an effort.
· possess the understanding and capacity to be a persuasive and effective government liaison.
· be experienced in communications, direct mail, social media and public relations.
· have worked closely with volunteers at all levels and be experienced at managing volunteer fundraisers and advocates.
Finally, the successful candidate will be a motivational leader, capable of bringing out the best in volunteers, colleagues, and staff. SANCA has a long-established team of dedicated collaborators, both staff and volunteers. Working collaboratively and with a sense of humor, is a must. The position reports to the CEO/President.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Implement and oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of current and new funders, including individuals, corporations and foundations.
· Manage Annual Fund program using the Benevon Model, tracking key metrics and meeting individual goals for each component in developing a membership and/or giving circle program.
· Establish and manage a major gifts program that includes fundraising efforts that will support a series of capital, deferred giving, endowment, and programmatic initiatives
· Direct/oversee special Fundraising Events, including stewardship and donor cultivation activities
· Working with board chair, facilitate board solicitation
· Develop a robust program for Corporate Sponsorships and grants
· Oversee development of Foundation and Government Grants programs, including managing grant writing and reporting functions of the organization
· Monitor to ensure all fundraising efforts are on schedule and goals are reached
· Coordinate cultivation and solicitation activities between Annual and Capital Gifts
· Expand and promote commemorative giving opportunities
· Work closely with the CEO/President and select trustees to develop and maintain strong and persuasive relationships with all public officials while creating, executing and reporting on all government capital and operating programs and grants related to park issues/opportunities
· Serve as chief liaison to volunteer fundraising committees and report on fundraising efforts to the CEO /President and the Board of Directors
· Oversee all development and fundraising communications in close collaboration with the marketing department
· Support the CEO/President in his role as chief spokesman for the organization
· Collaborate with marketing team (volunteer and consultants) to strengthen SANCA brand and messaging to broaden community awareness across all platforms
· Maintain consistent and effective fundraising messaging on-line through all means of social media
· Work closely with the CEO/President and executive team to develop the annual business plan and operating budget for the development department
· Direct and supervise the efficient operation of the Development Office
· Establish and maintain donor database software procedures and reporting protocols
· Work closely with the COO and the Marketing Department to serve as the lead for development and execution of sponsorship sales efforts for all major, hosted and owned events
· Other duties as assigned
SANCA will offer a competitive salary for this position, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefit package available that includes medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) retirement plan. The position also includes vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
SANCA seeks to hire personnel who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at SANCA are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Written applications, including cover letter and resume via email only, please.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Executive Assistant to the CEO
5851 Nathan Benderson Circle
Sarasota, FL 34235
All employees must pass a drug test and criminal background check prior to hiring. SANCA is an equal opportunity employer.