Maintenance & Custodial Specialist
POSITION TITLE: Maintenance & Custodial Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of Facilities & Operations
SUPERVISES: Occasional, no direct reports
COMPENSATION: $12 - $18 per hour + benefits; 30 hours per week
CATEGORY: Full-time – Non-exempt
Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates, Inc. (SANCA) is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit contracted by Sarasota County to manage the operations of the world-class Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida. SANCA is currently seeking qualified candidates with a great work ethic who takes pride in their work and has an attention to detail. The purpose of the position is to maintain the parks grounds, its amenities, buildings and equipment to the highest standard to provide a superb guest experience and make the park a shining gem for the community.
· Cleans and picks up and removes debris throughout the park, buildings, restrooms and facilities.
· Assists with preparations needed of such facilities for athletic use, special events, recreation programming or other uses as necessary.
· Provides maintenance and custodial services for the entire park with include but are not limited to; restrooms, picnic areas, meeting facilities, grassland and wetland areas, playgrounds, shelters, nature trails, gates, biking trails and wildlife habitat areas.
· Repairs and maintains park areas and buildings, performs minor repair and maintenance work.
· Operates and performs preventive maintenance and general repair of maintenance grounds-keeping equipment including mowers, chain saws, tractors, front-end loaders, trenchers, aerators, top dressers, dump trucks, small power equipment and similar equipment.
· Follows instructions regarding materials, equipment and training to assure a safe work environment for self and others.
· Performs basic tasks regarding irrigation and landscape maintenance.
· Inspects the facilities and grounds daily and maintains free of hazards.
· Maintains and cleans all digital signs and kiosks throughout the park.
· Prepares daily, weekly and monthly reports on custodial and maintenance program. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
High School diploma or GED
Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Minimum of two (2) years’ experience performing manual labor in a landscaping, grounds keeping or parks environment.
At least two (2) years of custodial/housekeeping experience working in a multi-facility setting is preferred.
Knowledge in cleaning techniques, tools and equipment, as well as the appropriate use of cleaning agents.
Average writing and verbal communication skills are required.
Knowledge of basic landscape maintenance and construction.
Ability to read and follow verbal and written instructions.
Ability to work effectively with Parks personnel trainees, volunteers and the general public.
Ability to safely operate equipment and perform job related tasks to ensure a safe environment for co-workers and guests.
Ability to operate equipment such as trucks, tractors, riding mowers, hand tools, shovels, tillers, generators, saws, probes and utility vehicles.
Knowledge of operation and repair of irrigation systems.
Ability to lift and carry 50 to 80 pound loads.
Must be CPR/First Aid certified and have Florida boating license or obtain certification/license within first 3 months of employment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Ability to lift, move, push and pull equipment or boxes in excess of 50lbs
Should be able to handle outdoor temperatures for a reasonable period of time
Must be able to move around the park which includes grass, shell, paved areas, steps, sand and floating docks
Occasional exposure to fumes from automotive exhaust, paints, chemicals, pesticides and fertilizers
Exposure to mosquitoes, flies, bees and other pests, reptiles and insects also common
Requires a background check upon offer
SANCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SANCA is non-profit organization created to manage and promote Nathan Benderson Park, a Sarasota County Park and world class multi-use sports venue. SANCA is an equal opportunity employer.