Nathan Benderson Park!
Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates, Inc. (SANCA)
The Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates, Inc. (SANCA), is a not-for-profit 501c3 business created to manage Nathan Benderson Park, a community/public asset and world class, multi-use sports venue. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for our community and be an economic generator for our region.
Come Explore All The Possibilities
Situated just west of Interstate 75 in tropically beautiful Sarasota, Florida, Nathan Benderson Park is a unique 600-acre community park providing the public access to a picturesque 400-acre lake and an exciting world of recreational pursuits.
Athletes look forward to rowing on the park’s world-class, permanent, FISA Class A 2,000-meter sprint rowing and training course, while families and visitors can get on the water in a kayak, rowboat or stand up paddleboard, find a scenic spot to enjoy an afternoon picnic, or walk, run or bike our peaceful, neatly manicured trails encircling the shimmering lake. The choices are virtually endless and every moment takes place amid the sights and sounds of Florida’s pristine natural beauty – with the possibility of seeing an osprey, splashing fish or blooming flowers along the way.
Nathan Benderson Park is home to a range of international championships as well as a host of recreational activities for anyone who enjoys the outdoors – from dragon boat, canoe and kayak races to triathlon and cross-country events, 5- and 10k runs, corporate training events and more. The community park is also conveniently located immediately adjacent to University Town Center – Southwest Florida’s newest shopping, dining and entertainment destination.
Whether you’re an athlete in training or just looking for fun things to do outdoors, come spend some time with us at Nathan Benderson Park – the perfect backdrop for any recreational outing.
- Sarasota County purchased the site in the early 1990s
- In 2007, the Benderson Family donated 1 million dollars to Sarasota County to transform Cooper Creek Park into a health and wellness destination
- Subsequently, the County renamed the park after the late Nathan Benderson
- Nathan Benderson, founder of Benderson Development, envisioned a community park where local residents could walk, bike and fish
- In 2009, the Park held its first successful regatta
- In 2010, Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates, Inc. (SANCA) was created
- Construction at the Park began in 2011 and is currently two-thirds complete
- Final phases include construction of a finish tower, a proposed boathouse and additional park infrastructure and amenities